Saturday, September 7, 2013

Preparing for the big move.

Life has kicked into overdrive in the last several weeks.  Life as a new parent has been wonderful.  Arya is growing so fast.  She was 6 weeks old yesterday which make her 38 weeks, 5 days gestational today.  Already our baby girl is well over 8 pounds, is sleeping for 4-5 hour stretches, and is just an easygoing baby.  I cannot imagine how big she would have been had I actually carried her to term.  She continues to be on a heart monitor to monitor heart rate and apnea episodes, but hopefully she will no longer need it after her neonatal appointment next week.

I am currently on an "off" week of my oral chemo medications.  My current regimen is high dose oral meds for 14 days then 7 days off.  As far as side effects, I have been fairly lucky so far (fingers crossed).  The first drug for days 1 through 14 just resulted in some fatigue and lightheadedness.  On day 10, I started another drug.  Thinking it would be similar to the previous, I did not take my anti-nausea medication.  I paid for it by being ill for 4 hours that night.  After one complication with my first anti-nausea med, I was able to tolerate the rest of the regimen with no significant difficulty.

We had some major life changes as well this past week.  Not only are we in the process of selling our home in Kansas City, but with the help of both of our families, Tim and I were able to buy a home in Fort Ransom near my parents.  And by near, I mean around the corner from my mom and dad.  We are anxious to start a normal life with a normal routine.  Cancer will just be a part of our lives; it will not define it.

Yesterday was a bittersweet day for both Tim and I as we had our last appointments at the maternal-fetal medicine office and my oncology office.  We have had such excellent, compassionate care that it was hard saying good-bye to the professionals who have cared for us, particularly the staff at the oncology office that has been with us for the past 2 years.  All appointments went well.  My blood work is good, so chemo thus far has been well tolerated.  I have had no to minimal symptoms.  I will start my next oral chemo regimen on Tuesday.  The next step is the big Mayo appointment on September 24th to further assess and establish a care regimen there in conjunction with Sanford.

This week we are also saying good-bye to all our Kansas City "family" that we have grown to love over the years.  Today was Tim's last day at the air traffic center.  His coworkers have been such a supportive group of people, and have made accommodations for him over the course of my illness that I cannot thank them for enough.  I went in to work Wednesday to say good-bye to all my former coworkers who have truly been some of my closest friends during my time in KC.  Tomorrow several friends are dropping by for a last get together at our house.  We have some AMAZING friends.

Currently my mom is still here with us helping with Arya and packing.  Tim's mom Deb and Aunt Linda are here as well to help out and see us off.  My dad, Darrel, Terry and Greg will be here Tuesday to help us move.  We should be back in Fort sometime on Thursday.  I cannot wait to see everyone in Fort, especially my sisters and Corbin.  I'm pretty attached to that little guy.  He will get a lot of aunt "Nenny", uncle "Mim", and cousin "Aw-ya" time.

Friends and family in both Fort Ransom, ND and Glasford, IL are busy setting up benefits to assist our family in medical expenses for the months ahead.  We cannot thank everyone enough for all they have done, all the support, and overall love and prayers.  Overwhelmed doesn't begin to describe how we are feeling right now.  We truly know we are blessed and that someone upstairs is looking out for us.

Thank you for taking your time to follow our story.  I will continue to make updates as life goes on.  With Love and God Bless---Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment