Friday, December 27, 2013

The happiest of holidays

I'll start this blog entry with my most recent health update.  I have been going to see my managing oncologist at Roger Maris Cancer Center in Fargo, ND every 3 weeks since my last Mayo appointment.  At my most recent appointment (December 23), once again all my blood work is considered normal: no drop in white counts, normal liver function, no change in cancer indicating markers, etc.  I am currently on my seventh round of oral medications, and so far my symptoms are very manageable.  As I identified before, the biggest side effects have been hand/foot syndrome and fatigue.  I will be going to Mayo again for appointments January 6th.  As the appointment draws near, we become more anxious, but we are optimistic that we will have another good report.

Since I last wrote, Arya celebrated her first Thanksgiving and Christmas.  For Thanksgiving, Tim and I hosted our Isley (mom's sister's) family.  It was a lot of fun, and anyone who knows me well would know how much I like hosting.  It was our first official holiday hosted in our new home.

Tim and I had a "date" evening in Grand Forks, ND where we went to Tim's first Sioux (I will forever call it that) hockey game.  We had seats on the ice directly next to the UND box.  It was an awesome first game for him.  I'll never be able to top it.  We also got to meet up with friends of mine that I hadn't seen for years.  It was a great mini getaway that brought back great college memories at UND.

Being home in our small community, I have enjoyed the perks of a tight knit community during the holidays including school and church children's programs, community parties, etc.  We have certainly had a white holiday.  Yes, for all of you not from ND, it was very cold this year.  Negative 20 windchill is not the most desirable, but I am lucky to have a nice warm fireplace in our window room so I can enjoy the pretty snow covered scenery in the comfort of our home.

Arya's first Christmas was WONDERFUL.  It is true what they say "The only thing better than being a kid at Christmas is HAVING a kid at Christmas."  We were constantly reminded of our many blessings, but most of all for the angel that was given to us.  Tim's parents were able to spend the week in ND with us.  We had several family functions with Olsons and Ekvalls together.  Arya is sure one lucky girl with so many grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and family friends who love her in her life.

Like I said, we are always remembering and giving thanks for our many blessings.  We are still receiving donations and cards, which continues to be a humbling experience.  I know God has been good to us, and He will see us through this next hurdle.  Remember, all of you who continue to support us by following our story and keeping us in your thoughts and prayers are collectively one of the greatest gifts we could have.  As a favor, please take the time to think about the loved ones in your life and give thanks for every moment you have with them.







Wishing you all a happy holiday season with new joy in the New Year-----Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment